Monday, March 10, 2008

Uh-oh - It's one of THOSE Wrestlemanias!

Hello there.

It looks like WWE is continuing the tradition that I've found they've been following since Wrestlemania 16 where every other Wrestlemania is pretty bad with a few good matches.

If you need me to break that down for you I will.

OK, I was doing a little thinking because lately the news in wrestling has been stale and there hasn't been anything to really talk about so I thought about this year's Wrestlemania and I was thinking it's shaping up to be another one of THOSE Wrestlemanias.

If you've noticed, pretty much every other Wrestlemania since Wrestlemania 16 has been a lackluster event. Here's my logic:
  • Wrestlemania 15 was a great event with a great feud going into it and a great Main Event.
  • Wrestlemania 16 was a terrible event. It felt like a glorified Judgment Day Pay Per View instead of Wrestlemania! This stands in history as the only Wrestlemania to not have a classic one on one singles match! The closest it came was The Kat vs. Terri in a "Cat Fight". The matches that saved this show was the Triangle Ladder Match for the Tag Team Championship and Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho. Excellent matches.
  • Wrestlemania 17 - One of the greatest Wrestlemanias of all time.
  • Wrestlemania 18 was a good one but certainly not one of the best. It had Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock but other than that it was a stale Wrestlemania. The lowest point of it had Booker T and Edge feuding over a fake Japanese hair endorsement. That and Maven from Tough Enough actually competed on it.
  • Wrestlemania 19 was a fantastic Wrestlemania emanating from Safeco Field. One of my favorites of all time.
  • Wrestlemania 20 was a good one. I was there for it and I'd hate to say it but it wasn't the best Wrestlemania of all time. Only good match really was the Triple Threat Main Event. Honorable mention goes to Kurt Angle vs. Eddie Guerrero and The Rock N' Sock Connection vs. Evolution.
  • Wrestlemania 21 - Wrestlemania goes Hollywood. Another one of my all time favorites!!!
  • Wrestlemania 22 was terrible. Nothing about it got me excited except John Cena vs. Triple H and Mick Foley vs. Edge.
  • Wrestlemania 23 was a fantastic Wrestlemania! ANOTHER one of my favorites of all time!

Can you follow my logic now? That was exhausting to write out that history!

This year's Wrestlemania truly IS shaping up to be "one of those". The build for this year's 'Mania has been pretty bad. There's only three matches I really want to see: Money in the Bank, Undertaker vs. Edge and Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels. The rest is really hit or miss.

The build for the Floyd Mayweather vs. Big Show match has been horrible. The feud itself has gone over like a fart in a windstorm. It's really bad and the audience isn't responding at all. Floyd Mayweather isn't getting paid $20 Million but he is getting a substantial amount of money to appear at Wrestlemania and he can't even appear on any of the shows to promote the match. It's always "Live via Satellite" or some crap with him. Big Show is carrying this feud and he won't get any payoff from it. Are we really supposed to believe that a 150 pound boxer can beat a 450 pound wrestler like the Big Show? I feel bad for Show - first Akebono now Floyd Mayweather. What's worse is that Mayweather can't even talk. He keeps getting bitched out by the Big Show! Oh, now there's a guy I want to see go over! I can really get behind him!! (Note the sarcasm). Pathetic.

One match I am looking forward to seeing is Batista vs. Umaga (or U-man-ga) in a battle for brand supremacy. However the build for this match has been terrible at best. It's really just been relegated to one minute backstage segments and one Umaga squash match. This should be a big deal match, especially because it's for the supremacy of RAW and Smackdown. Maybe WWE is realizing that the lines between the two brands is almost invisible. Oh, and last time I checked wasn't ECW a brand too?! Oh yeah, WWE doesn't care about that. It should be a Triple Threat Match with CM Punk but according to Joey Styles, ECW isn't going to have a presence at Wrestlemania. ECW doesn't have a presence anyway - who's he kidding?

How about that vomit inducing storyline between JBL and Finlay? All August we kept hearing Mr. McMahon has an illegitimate son. We even have a lawyer from the mother of the bastard WWE Superstar appear to tell us the bastard of Vince McMahon's loins is the midget leprechaun Hornswoggle. Months later (after many terrible segments) we find out from JBL that Hornswoggle isn't Vince's son - he's FINLAY'S!! Oh wow what a swerve on us!!! (Sarcasm) Next week Finlay comes out and admits it's true and he's proud of it and then JBL attacks Hornswoggle while Finlay fakes caring. That whole segment invalidated a half a years worth of a storyline. If Finlay knew the whole time why did he allow this to happen? What would be the reason for Vince's family to trick him like that? That would ruin their inheritance. Nothing of this storyline makes sense. It's way too complicated for wrestling. This is very reminiscent of the hideous "Custody of Dominick" storyline from the Summer of 2005. How horrible was that?! A ladder match for the custody of a small child. That was a terrible storyline. So is this one. I know I'll be seeing this on Online World of Wrestling's Hall of Shame for 2008. Hopefully the match will be good.

How about this for looking bleak - The Triple Threat Main Event for the WWE Championship. Hopefully if WWE is smart (unlike last year) they'll put Undertaker vs. Edge as the Main Event and put this as the Co-Main Event because Undertaker has a tendency for stealing the show, especially at Wrestlemania. I don't know why but this feud doesn't really seem to have any real heat going into it. It doesn't feel like a Wrestlemania Main Event, which is odd because it has three huge superstars. I guess I'm just not really behind this match because I'd rather have seen Triple H vs. John Cena. Oh well can't get what you want all the time I guess. They need to do something big for this match and quick!

I really hope I'm wrong about Wrestlemania XXIV but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not.

Until next time, wrestling fans.

1 comment:

Mike Siciliano said...

Impressive. Most impressive. I am impressed with your opinions. I'm not 100% sure I agree with all of them, except for the Mayweather/Show thing, but that's a table for another day.

I took the liberty of giving you a plug. I hope you hop over to my place to check it out.